Listen to the Stinker Madness Episode
Watch the Trailer!
For 25 years, people have been celebrating a film about a FBI guy spending 3/4 of the movie trying to get fired and perhaps sent to prison, while steadily falling in love with a dude brah. Since its release apparently no one has watched it because this crap stinks and not in good ways.
I'm sorry to say everyone but this movie just isn't very good NOR is it very bad. It is as middle of the road and completely unremarkable as any movie has ever existed. What? It's not very good?
Point Break isn't good because:
- It's not very action packed. There isn't an action sequence until 3/4 through and it doesn't make any sense.
- It's not very thrilling. There's a sense of danger for Lori Petty's character briefly but you aren't interested because she sucks.
- It's not very suspenseful. You know who the bad guys are from the very beginning so its not much of a mystery.
What? It's not very bad?
Point Break is not very bad because:
- The shooting and cinematography is all quite good.
- The acting (despite its reputation) is fine.
- There isn't anything going on that is laughable.
There's quite a few more problems with the film including the casting of Lori Petty, how Patrick Swayze looks (he looks like an insane homeless person, he does NOT look cool), the extended "way too much information" dialogue between strangers, so much damn slo-motion, characters make choices that conflict with their entire idiom, there's shots of people/things that are there just to look cool and not to contribute to the story.
Point Break is just a 5/10. Stop it with your nostalgia for this film. Put aside your 13 year old boy love for Bodhi and Johnny Utah.
Over the top action:
Good Movie Quality:
Bad Movie Quality: